Friday, March 18, 2011

Uptown Chicken with Oh my Gorganzola Cheese Grits

I love, love, love when I find a recipe by chance and it turns out to be crazy good, and relatively healthy to boot. That is the case with this uptown chicken recipe - least we thought so. Probably the only unhealthy thing about it is that I defy you to eat just one "serving". Here is how I came across it...

For Christmas I received a huge, and I mean huge, basket of cookbooks from my mother-in-law, that she had won at a garden club luncheon raffle. She had bid on it with me in mind and like so many things of this ilk, as I went through the books, some were interesting and some not so much. After weeding it down to the ones I thought I would really use I started my process of evaluation that I think I mentioned in another post. If you are joining us late, I read through a cookbook and then make a list in the front of the book of any recipe that I might want to try. This particular one jumped out at me because of the ingredients list. To be honest I was not sure that it was going to be all that good - so I was more than happy when it turned out to be amazing.

I hope you all enjoy this as much as we did. The Other Half says it is a definite keeper. I found this recipe in "The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook", with a couple of tweaks. Enjoy!

Uptown Chicken

1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
(4) 4-oz boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 tsp butter (can substitute olive oil spread or cooking spray if you want to reduce the fat)
1/2 cup chopped pancetta (substitute low sodium ham if you want to cut down on the salt/fat)
1/2 cup strongly brewed coffee (good use for the last little bit left in the pot)
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp brown sugar
(1) 8-oz. Package pre-sliced portabello mushrooms
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp water

Preparation
Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large heavy-duty zip-lock plastic bag; add in chicken. Seal bag and shake to coat chicken.

Heat a large nonstick skillet on med-high heat. Add butter and melt.

Add chicken to skillet; cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden.

Combine pancetta, coffee, water and brown sugar in a small bowl. Once combined, pour over chicken and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat – allow to simmer for 3 minutes.

Add in mushrooms; recover and simmer 5 more or until chicken is done and mushrooms are tender.

Remove chicken and mushrooms with a slotted spoon and put on a serving platter and set aside. Cover to keep warm.

In a bowl, combine 1 tablespoon flour and 1 tablespoon water; whisk until smooth. (Super important or your gravy will be lumpy!) Add mixture to cooking liquid in pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute or until thickened. 

Gorgonzola Cheese Grits

(2) 14.5-ounce cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth 
3/4 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits 
1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese  (about 4 oz)
1/3 cup fat-free sour cream 
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preparation
 
Bring the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually add grits, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients.



Plate grits first then chicken/mushrooms on top/slightly to the side. Spoon gravy over top. I served with a green salad and roasted asparagus.
 

1 comment:

professionaldawn said...

Keep up the posting, Nancy. Great job.