Friday, March 4, 2011

Low Fat Fish Tacos with Black Beans & Brown Rice

I am still trying to get into a rhythum of posting so have some patience with me while I figure out how to work this into the schedule. I have so many recipes I want to share but as my mom always used to say - how do you eat an elephant - one bit at a time. So saying, on to the next bite...

After living in Southern CA in the 90s I am a big fan of the fish taco. I have never been able to recreate that same delicious flavor that they have out there, but I found this recipe and have since noodled with it a bit to make it a family favorite. Even the kids will eat these and it is a nice change of pace on taco nights from chicken or beef tacos.

Fish Taco

2 Tbsp lime juice (I use Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice)
1 Tsp ground cumin ( I like to use McCormick's roasted cumin)
1 Tsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Cilantro
1 Pound firm white fish (Eg. cod, halibut - doesn't have to be an expensive cut of fish since you are going to marinate it and cut it up)
Corn tortillas
Salsa -  choose your heat
Arugula, shredded
Shredded cheese of choice - kids like montery jack, I like manchego for its buttery flavor
Black Beans (recipe below)

1. In a ziplock bag combine lime juice, cumin, olive oil and cilantro, then add fish. Allow to marinate in refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

3. Coat a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray ( I actually use olive oil in an atomizer as my spray).

4. Place marinated fish in dish and discard  remaining marinade. Bake 15-20 minutes until fish flakes easily.

5. Warm tortillas.

6. Cut fish in to small chunks and strips.

Classic Black Beans
This recipe came off the back of a can of Goya Black Beans and are so good that I can eat them just by themselves in a tortilla for lunch on the go.

1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 cup chopped green onions, green parts only (about 4 onions)
3 cloves garlic, minced
15.5 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
8 oz can of corn kernel, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup water
1 tsp ground oregano
1 packet Sazon Goya without Annatto (easily found in grocery store in mexican food aisle)
1 Tbsp Cider vinegar

Heat oil in a pan over edium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until tender but not browned (5-8 minutes). Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I like to serve it with shredded arugula which adds a nice peppery flavor, salsa, shredded cheese, brown rice and black beans (recipe above). You can also include chopped veggies like cucumber and peppers to make a yummy burrito.

No comments: